Kristian Gerhard Jebsen (1927-2004) founded the Kristian Gerhard Jebsen Skipsrederi AS (KGJS) in 1967. The company started operations the first year with the management of two coastal cement vessels, and has expanded ever since into other areas of shipping.
KGJS is one of the largest shipowning companies in Norway.
In 1968 Kristian Gerhard Jebsen took the initiative to establish the international Gearbulk Ltd shipping pool, with KGJS as one of four partners. As of December 2010 one of his sons, Kristian Jebsen and his family, controls 51 % of the Gearbulk-shares, while Mitsui O.S.K. Lines holds the remaining 49 %.
SKS, initially established as a shipping pool in 1991, was restructured in 1996 as a fully owned subsidiary of KGJS.
Kristian Gerhard Jebsen's unique knowledge of international shipping, combined with his visionary talents, great capacity for work and ability to motivate and lead, allowed him to build up a business which ranks today as a world leader in its fields.
KGJS remains a family-owned company, and as of December 2010 the company is controlled by one of Kristian Gerhard Jebsen’s sons Hans Peter Jebsen and his family. KGJS currently embraces the following activities: SKS, KGJ Cement and KGJS Fleet Management.